Thank you for your interest in the American Women’s Club! There are AWC’s worldwide; our club in Finland started in 1970 and primarily serves the greater Helsinki area. Our purposes are to provide a means of social interaction and to further our knowledge and mutual understanding of our host country. All club events are conducted in English.
- Friendship and camaraderie with Americans and other like-minded women in Finland
- A monthly newsletter and email announcements about events and resources
- Monthly meetings with prominent Finnish and international speakers
- Monthly tours of historical, cultural and commercial sites
- Access to the club’s English-language interest groups (including book club, gardening, gourmet, handicrafts, bridge, etc.)
- Access to a closed Facebook group for connecting with other members regularly
- Annual new member reception
The AWC in Finland has both American (full members) and international members (associate members). Those eligible for Full membership can join right away by submitting an application and paying the annual dues. Associate members can apply for membership via the process detailed below.
- Americans by virtue of place of birth
- Americans by parentage
- Americans by naturalization
- Former American citizens
- English speaking wives/partners of American citizens
- Daughters of American who are of have been full members of the AWC
- Non U.S. citizens must attend two monthly meetings within two years as the guest of a member (guest fee €5 per meeting). The member must then write a letter of recommendation to the Executive Board.
- Associate membership is maintained by attending at least two meetings during the club year.
How to join:
- Send a request for a registration form
- Email our Membership Coordinator for information on how to attend a meeting as a guest
The club year runs from September to May. All memberships become effective upon payment of annual dues (€30 per year; €15 if joining after January ). Dues can be paid to the club bank account or in person at a meeting.